Saturday, April 28, 2012

Underscore in Hostname

I had to add this line to my Bind9 configuration for my home DNS server:
check-names master warn;

Had to do this mainly because I was getting crap like "bad owner name (check-names)" in my syslog everytime my Android phone tried to join the network.  Apparently, DNS doesn't like special characters in hostnames.  It seems Android phones tend to have an underscore character in their hostnames.  The annoying thing about this is that you can't change the hostname on a non-rooted phone.

But anyway, using the line up above in your named.conf file will stop your syslog from adding these alerts.  I think it's probably not the best thing to do, but until my phone uses a normal hostname, I have to do it to avoid sifting through tons of useless syslog alerts.

Interestingly enough, before adding that to clean up the log, Snort was also firing each time my phone joined the network, citing it as a possible Bind9 DoS attempt.  So even if I wasn't checking my logs regularly, snort would have at least let me know that I should pay closer attention to my phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment