Monday, January 16, 2012

Switching Desktops at Home

Yesterday I changed out my primary desktop machine at home.  I decided my existing desktop would be better served as a host server for my virtual machines.  Since I still like having a machine other than my laptop, I found an old HP Pavilion a220n in my junk collection (c'mon you know you have stuff lying around like this, too).  I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on it and it's running surprisingly well.  There is a slight delay when launching programs and it certainly isn't nearly as "zippy" as my six core machine, but I think it'll be fine for a while.  Since I still have a four core processor that I'm not using, I may look at ordering a motherboard and building a new desktop.  Until then, the old pavilion will have to do.

Update:   I decided the delays on the pavilion when launching applications were a bit too much for me.  If I had a decent video card that would fit in one of the PCI slots in that machine, it might improve.  I think the onboard video is my main bottleneck (or at least a bottleneck).  I remembered that I had another AMD Athlon 64 system in my closet.  I have since hooked that system up and loaded Ubuntu on it.  It seems to be running much more smoothly.  I think I'll stick with it for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment