Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Web Conferencing and VOIP

I realized that I was missing something with OpenMeetings.  With WebEx, I get a phone number for the conference that participants can dial into.  It looks like OpenMeetings was designed only for web based conferencing.  From what I've read on mailing lists, the devs suggest that you hire someone familiar with the telcom aspect to help build an integration for you.  This is a little disappointing, but I still like OpenMeetings as a conferencing tool. 

This also made me realize that I don't really have any experience with VOIP.  Well, at least outside of the enterprise with an Avaya PBX.  I'd like to do something on a smaller scale with something like Asterisk.  I think I'll start coming up with a plan to introduce an Asterisk box into my home.  I don't have a land line, so it would kind of fill that void.

I'll post more about this as things start to develop with it.  I'm fairly lazy, so it might take a while.   

No comments:

Post a Comment